Friday, March 7, 2008

Queen Isabella: Would America Exist If Not For Pawn Shops?

I don't have as much time tonight, so I'm going to make this one short and sweet. A fun fact that most people probably weren't taught in their history lessons is that Queen Isabella of Spain pawned her crown to help finance Christopher Columbus' voyage that led to the discovery of the Americas. This is has been debated, and some people are saying that she didn't actually end up pawning the crown, but she was at least documented as saying,

"I will assume the undertaking for my crown of Castille, and am ready to pawn my jewels to defray the expenses of it, if the funds in the treasure shall be found inadequate."

2 comments:

Aishah Bowron said...

I don't think the Queen had ever pawned her jewels to pay for Christopher Columbus's expedition. Financing came from Italian Genoese bankers in Seville and also from the treasurer of Aragon Luis de Santangel

Unknown said...

Hi, thanks for this very nice and interesting post. Please visit http://goo.gl/j2bOn5